Monday, August 15, 2011

Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark!


So ever since Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark started I had be curious about the show. Of course all the injuries and bad press didn't help the show start off with a bang. But after they took some time off to tweak some things, it started up again, and boy did it make a come back!

Now, I know the bare minimum when it comes to super heros. But I was still curious about seeing the show. My aunt had mentioned to me that she thought it was be the perfect show to take my 9yr old cousin for his first Broadway show. I agreed,and said that I wanted to see it also. So I went to the box office and purchased the tickets (there was actually a line there).

So this past Saturday my aunt, uncle, mom, cousin and I headed into the city for the day for some lunch and to see the show. Unfortunately, I hurt my ankle at work 2 weeks ago, and I'm on crutches which made it hard to get to the balcony where our seats where. Luckily, the theatre had elevator access, so I didn't have to climb as many stairs as I thought.

We had seats in the first row of the balcony..I sat in the aisle seat and my cousin sat right next to me; which turned out to be perfect seats (I'll explain why in a moment!)

So we were all getting excited when the lights dimmed and I was really curious to see how my cousin would enjoy his first Broadway musical. The show started, and in my opinion the beginning of the story went by kind of slow. However, it was necessary to explain the back story of how Peter Parker became Spider-Man. The plot basically is the same as the movie. It's about how Peter Parker becomes Spider-Man, the love story between him and Mary Jane, and his battle with the super villan the Green Goblin.

During the second act is where the real action started! The aerials in this show...WOW. It was amazing! They had about 10 different guys play Spider-Man, because of how many tricks there were. At one point right before the end of Act 1, the usher moved my crutches...and I was thinking, they're not in the way. Well, come to find out..they were! Spider-Man comes out of a door and runs down the aisle and jumped and sat right next to my cousin and I! He scared the bajeezus out of us! But it was awesome! He did it again a few more times, and my cousin even got a wave from Spidey! We were able to see most of the fighting scenes and tricks. I give these actors props, there is no way you could get me to fly around that theatre! Every single one of us enjoyed the show! I was worried to see if my cousin would enjoy it, since it was a musical. But all the aerial tricks, fight scenes, and the fact that Spidey sat next to us several times made him love it!

I would totally recommend this show! The story was good, the costumes and aerials were insane! This show is for kids and adults. It's so worth seeing! I would love to see it again, but from the different views. If you're in the city and are looking for a show to see, go see Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark!!

Follow me on Twitter: @AllThingsBWay

No comments:

Post a Comment