Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sister Act? Amen!


Last weekend I did something I've never done before: rush for tickets. Ever since I heard Sister Act was coming to Broadway I knew I had to see it. Both movies are some of my all time favorites. Previews for the show started March 24th and it officially opens on April 20th.

For this blog I have also created a twitter account (@AllThingsBway) and one of the first people I followed was @SisterActBway. One thing I really like about following them on twitter is that they actually talk to their audience! They interact with everyone and it makes it that much more fun to follow them. They @ mention their fans and retweet things. Also, by following them, I heard about their rush tickets. If you show up at the theatre (Broadway Theatre) at 10am the day of the show, you can get front row orchestra seats for $26.50! Yes, $26.50! I had to do a double take myself when I first read it. So far they say there is no end date for the rush tickets. They also raffle off free tickets (I believe on Friday's) via twitter. All you do is follow them on twitter, then @ mention them with a good deed you've done that week ending the tweet with #gooddeed. You'll then be in the running to win free tickets!

So I told my friend about it and she agreed that we should rush. So I woke up at 6am (Yuck! I haven't seen 6am since high school!), and I got on the train to head into the city to get these awesome tickets. I got to the theatre at about 9:30am and there were about 12 people ahead of me in line. I was shocked. It was a Friday morning, and crappy outside, and I didn't think there would be that many people in line. So the doors open up at 10am on the dot. I go inside with my fellow theatre goers and with 3 people ahead of me I was told that the rush tickets were sold out. SOLD OUT?! I couldn't believe it! Normally they have about 20 something tickets, and they only had 15! I was pissed needless to say, but my friend and I had planned on seeing the show anyway. So I bought 2 orchestra seats for the 8pm show.

Can I just say that this show is Faboulous Baby! The main plot is practically the same as the movie. Deloris (Whoopie's character in the movie) was played by Patina Miller. Boy can she saaanngg! The story continues about how she witnesses a murder and has to stay in a rectory with the nuns. At first when I read the playbill I was disappointed that none of the songs from the movie were in the show. But as the show went on, I didn't even care. I found myself tapping my foot along to every song. The entire cast was amazing. There was not one single weak link. Marla Mindelle, the actress who plays Sister Roberts, (the very shy nun) couldn't have played the part any better!

There are a few suprises in the show, which I won't spoil...you'll just have to see it for yourselves! I totally recommend seeing this play!

Follow them on twitter: @SisterActBway
Buy Tickets Today!

Follow me on Twitter: @AllThingsBway

No comments:

Post a Comment