Sunday, April 10, 2011

When You're An Addams

 

For awhile my dad had been saying that he wanted to see The Addams Family. At first I thought "yeah, I'm not seeing that." But with spring break coming up, I figured we could do a father daughter day in the city and see the show. So that's what we did.

I went into the city a few days earlier and bought the tickets at the box office of the theatre (Lunt-Fontanne Theatre) and got front row seats! However, after purchasing my tickets I heard the guy at the box office tell the people online that that Sunday would be Nathan Lane's last show. Of course I bought tickets for the next week. So I went back and asked if I could switch my tickets to see his last show. Thankfully the guy was super nice and gladly exchanged the tickets. We still got great seats: second row..not to shabby.

I was beyond excited that I was going to be so close to two huge broadway stars: Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth. Who knows when I'd ever be able to see those two ever again! The play started with the classic Addams Family theme song and the audience went nuts. The story line is that Wednesday Addams falls in love with a "normal" boy and she wants to have his family over for dinner at their house. Of course, this concerned her entire family. One of the songs is called "One Normal Night", where she begs her family to try to be a little more "normal". The as the show goes on, things of course don't go as planned. I won't spoil the whole story, because it's really funny. You'll just have to go see it yourself!

The entire cast was absolutely amazing. The actor who played Lurch did a great job! Jackie Hoffman who played grandma was hilarious! Then there was the set. One word: Awesome. They had all sorts of moving sets, and parts of the set were animated. The combination of the acting and set put the show over the top.

We actually picked a perfect night to see the play. Not only was it Nathan's last show, but it was also the last performance for 6 of the original cast members. At the end the directors, producers and the cast gave speeches. I'm really glad that we switched our tickets to see their last performances. Even though the cast has changed, it is totally worth seeing



The Original Cast of The Addam Family

Left to Right:  Adam Riegler (Pugsley), Krysta Rodriguez (Wednesday), Zachary James (Lurch), Kevin Chamberlin (Uncle Fester), Bebe Neuwirth (Morticia), Nathan Lane (Gomez), Jackie Hoffman (Grandma)

Click Here for Tickets!

Follow me on Twitter: @AllThingsBway

No comments:

Post a Comment